Campus Pond History

CAMPUS POND HISTORY

The Campus Pond at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst has been a historic part of the campus since 1894. The Campus Pond served many purposes in itās early days. In the winter, students and faculty used to cut blocks of ice from it to refrigerate dairy products and fruit, the Freshman and Sophomore classes engaged in a yearly old fashioned tug of war across it, and in 1909 the Menās Ice Hockey team began playing its intercollegiate games on the pond. Today the Campus Pond remains a landmark and serves as the backdrop for many University activities.

 

 


 

 

©2011 UMASS Hockey The Pond Club